It’s a bit sad but after 342 days of travel across 5 continents, visiting 20 different countries and 78 different towns and cities we have returned home to Ottawa. I thought of the idea for “roomwithaview” AFTER we had left Ottawa and I was sitting looking out of the hotel window in New York City - our first night away. I borrowed the idea from “Conde Nast Traveler Magazine”, the back page that each month featured a view. Usually, though, these hotels cost in the range of 100’s if not 1000’s of dollars.
Our “roomwithaview” has 121 postings. In other words we stayed or slept in 121 different places. These locations were hostels, hotels, guest houses, jet aircraft, rented apartments, trains or even buses. Here are some rules that were followed:
- each photo was taken from the location that we slept
- most photos were taken from the window of the room
- if there was no window in the room the photo was taken from “down the hall”; once in China the photo was taken of the wall outside the room … interesting graffiti
- sometimes the photo was taken from the balcony or terrace at the hotel, out of the door of the room or out of the window across the hall
- the photo was ALWAYS a scene that could be seen from the location
- occasionally the digital telephoto feature of the camera was used; for example the photo was a “sneak peak” between a gap in the leaves of the adjacent tree like in the photo in Banff, Alberta
- NO photos were re-touched using “Photoshop” or other software
- NO photo was straightened or trimmed
- in fact only ONE photo in “snowfree” was ever cropped - one in Mexico City of the Segway Scooters
- occasionally a photo might be slightly out of focus due to low lighting conditions
- ALL photos were taken using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, a very versatile, very portable camera (it was on my belt 99% of our waking hours)
We received a great deal of feedback regarding “roomwithaview”, some travellers even chose to use the same idea. Occasionally taking the photo wsa a real challenge. At some locations I might have taken 15 or 20 shots. IT WAS TREMENDOUS FUN ! ! !
Thanks for following “roomwithaview”. Thanks for the input. Thanks for being with us as we made our way 1.4 times around the world.
Warren, Janice, Connor and Alannah McBride
PS: Feel free to contact us at email@example.com if you have comments or questions.
PPS: ALWAYS remember to somehow back up your travel photos daily. The question you must ask yourself is “How many photos are you willing to lose?”